Do you want to find a WiFi password on your Chromebook? Relax we’ve got you covered. Unless you already know the password, modern computer gadgets do not make it simple to find out WiFi connection passwords. Thanks to a method, Chromebook users can find it.
On your device, you can enable WiFi Sync, but it only goes a small way toward obtaining your WiFi password. Therefore, you’ll need to take additional steps—some of which are a little trickier than what we often discuss—for this purpose.
DON’T MISS: HOW TO CONNECT CHROMEBOOK TO THE INTERNET WITHOUT WIFI STEP-BY-STEP
In This Article
Finding WiFi password on your Chromebook
You must enter what Google refers to as ChromeOS developer mode to discover your Chromebook’s WiFi password.
You can use your Chromebook in a more or less experimental manner in this fashion, giving you access to the newest cutting-edge features before they are released via the stable release channel.
To change your update channel, you will need to change the latter to “Dev” mode. In any case, be aware that Chromebooks’ developer mode capability comes with a fair amount of caution.
The “Verified Boot” feature of your device is first removed by the developer mode.
The Chromebook checks itself for security concerns upon startup as part of a self-check procedure after a virus invasion.
The functionality is very useful and works well with ChromeOS’s boot-up process. However, because switching on developer mode permanently turns that off, your degree of protection is substantially lower.
Additionally, the device becomes susceptible to errors, crashes, and performance stutters due to the development mode’s relative instability.
Nevertheless, the issue is usually not too serious, and you could sometimes modestly notice these symptoms.
Let’s speak about how to discover the WiFi password for your Chromebook now that you have been forewarned. This lesson includes a two-step approach to enable you to do precisely that.
We’ll activate developer mode first, and then launch the ChromeOS developer shell (Crosh) to collect the information we want.
DON’T MISS: HOW TO CONNECT MOBILE DATA TO A CHROMEBOOK (STEP-BY-STEP)
1. Activating developer mode on your Chromebook
Entering the developer mode offered by Chromebooks is the first step.
Please note that once you turn on the developer mode for your Chromebook, all prior data will be erased, leaving the computer in brand-new condition. The creators refer to this as Powerwashing a Chromebook.
As a result, support everything you think is appropriate and worthwhile to prevent any possible problems. For that reason, take into account a premium cloud-based storage option like pCloud.
The developer mode can now be activated easily. The process is a little time-consuming, so for the best results, you must follow the instructions carefully.
For thorough instruction, we advise reading our article on turning on developer mode on a Chromebook. Your Chromebook will enter a development state securely if you do this.
The general idea is to initially start the Chromebook in recovery mode, adhere to the prompts on the screen, and then press “Ctrl” and “D” simultaneously as necessary.
The next step is to launch the ChromeOS developer shell, enter some instructions, and sit down with your WiFi password in hand after switching your Chromebook into development mode. The next segment will continue where this one ends.
DON’T MISS: HOW TO UNLOCK YOUR ANDROID PHONE IF YOU’VE FORGOTTEN YOUR PASSCODE
2. Using Crosh to find the WiFi password on your Chromebook
You can open the ChromeOS developer shell by pressing “Ctrl,” “Alt,” and “T” simultaneously inside the Google Chrome browser.
It enables users to carry out a variety of tasks with Crosh commands, enhancing accessibility and giving them another way to navigate their devices.
You’ll need to provide Crosh instructions to discover the WiFi password for your Chromebook’s current wifi connection.
It will be a step-by-step procedure, therefore we strongly advise you to adhere to the directions stated in advance to understand the operation.
1. Press the shortcut keys “Ctrl,” “Alt,” and “T” to launch the Crosh interface in the first step. If you completed everything correctly, you should see the following on your end. Start by typing “Shell” into the command-line interface at this point. By doing this, you’ll be able to manage your Chromebook better and finally figure out the WiFi password.
2. You must enter the command “sudo su” on the terminal after inputting the shell. This will enable us to assume exclusive control of the activities in the future.
3. After entering “sudo su,” proceed by entering “cd home/root” and pressing the “Enter” key in the terminal. If we need to alter the directory command to progress, then this step is essential.
DON’T MISS: HOW TO CONNECT CHROMEBOOK TO TV (HDMI OR WIRELESSLY)
4. We must list the directory’s contents after modifying it. We’ll enter by typing “ls” and pressing the key. We will advance if we do this.
5. Using the “ls” command to list the directory’s contents will show you stuff on the screen. It is now your responsibility to copy the centre section of the code and paste it into the terminal, using the “cd” command as a prefix.
cd [string of code]
6. To go on to the next step after the previous one, run the “ls” command once again in the terminal.
7. After listing the contents of the new directory once again put the following command into the screen, and you’re ready to go.
DON’T MISS: 5 EASY WAYS TO TRANSFER MUSIC FROM CHROMEBOOK TO ANDROID PHONE
8. Several operations will start taking place at the Crosh terminal. To complete the processes, hold off until the username shows on the screen.
After that, you must scroll up and find the SSID of the WiFi network to which you are now connected. The passphrase code will be just underneath the operations.
The passphrase that appears after the colon must be copied and entered using the “echo” command on the terminal.
After that, enter the following after combining the latter with the “|” sign. When you’re finished, press “Enter,” and the WiFi password will appear right away on your end.
echo [passphrase] | tr ‘!-~’ ‘P-~!-O’
9. The last phase is little more than a small amount of satisfaction. The only thing left to do is to check the WiFi password you just retrieved.
The command-line interface will fire the passcode your way after you’ve finished the last step, bringing the whole procedure to a close.
Even though the procedure took a while, given the structure of the aforementioned instructions, you’ll find the password when you properly follow the steps.
DON’T MISS: HOW TO USE TEXT-TO-SPEECH ON CHROMEBOOK (BEST GUIDE)
Chromebooks do more than merely run the Chrome browser. Instead, given the variety of capabilities they come with, such as the built-in Crostini Linux terminal, the Google Play Store, and Crosh, these svelte devices are capable of much more. One can approach ChromeOS in a much more comprehensive way by using these technologies.